PLEASE NOTE: The post content below contains affiliate links. See disclosure statement below.
Click HERE to sign up now!
How Safe Is Your Genealogy Data?
I’ve always worried about “losing” years of genealogy research, whether it was hard copies or digital data. Since most of my research is now paperless, there is even more of an incentive to create a backup plan and to stick to it!
Use the 3-2-1 Backup Plan
Me, the “tech guy,” got burned last year and lost data. It was my own fault and I accepted full responsibility for just being plain lazy. While I’ve been using Dropbox since its inception, I turned off the syncing feature on my desktop because of “the need for speed” when it came to working. Each day I kept telling myself that I would turn it back on and go watch television or do something while the program caught up and copied my local data up to the Dropbox servers. And then the hard drive failed on my desktop computer. I lost two weeks’ worth of writing and research. Poof! Gone!
So now I use what I call the 3-2-1 Backup Plan and I stick to it religiously. I don’t get greedy for speed or lazy and put it off to tomorrow. Here’s how the plan works:
- At least 3 different backups. One is just not enough. For me, I use iDrive, Dropbox, and a local external hard drive.
- Use 2 different media for backup. I chose three actually, but never have all your backups in just a cloud program or on just flash drives.
- At least 1 backup must be offsite, and away from the original source computer. For me, the iDrive qualifies as my “remote” storage since I access the iDrive servers over the Internet and the data is not stored here at my home in Chicago.
Get 2TB of iDrive Automatic Backup for $6.95 USD
Here at Genealogy Bargains we’ve run deals before on iDrive but never like this! For just $6.95 USD* you get 2 TB of secure cloud backup PLUS:
- Multi-Device Backup: A single account can backup data from multiple computers and mobile devices.
- Manage Computers: Web-based console helps you manage data backups, restores, application settings and more, on your far-away computers.
- Security and Privacy: Transfer and store your files with 256-bit AES encryption using a user-defined key that is not stored anywhere on the servers.
- Fast-Fast-Fast: Incremental and compressed backups will ease your network bandwidth by transferring the modified portions of a file.
- Real Time Backup: IDrive automatically recognizes the modified parts of files and backs them up in real-time.
- Facebook Backup: Now you can easily backup Facebook photos and videos uploaded by you or tagged by your friends.
* The 90% offer is applicable for the first year only.
Click HERE to get started and don’t delay! Protect your valuable genealogy research data today!
PLEASE NOTE: The post content above contains affiliate links. This means I make a percentage of sales via these links. This does not INCREASE the price you pay as a consumer. It simply supplements my income so I can continue providing as much free genealogy content as possible through my “abundance model.”
Disclaimer: All prices and offers are subject to change. Some items may be sold out and have limited inventory. Also check to see if you have automated purchase settings enabled, such as Amazon Buy with 1-Click: it is your responsibility to make sure you are getting the correct price for an item before you check out and finalize the transaction.
Disclosure statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
©2017, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.